Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Days 42-47 -- Lake Malawi Beaches

So internet in Africa is real sketchy so I'm going to blast through the end of the overland trip to get caught up. South Africa looks like it has decent access so I hope to stay on top of it like I did when I started...

After Zanzibar, we spent another night in Dar es Salaam where we had to say goodbyes to a few people who left the truck. We added a few more so with 23 people, it was still crowded. Crossed the border into Malawi and drove Mikumi National park. Our first night was at a campsite right on Lake Malawi. The lake is so expansive, covering a fifth of the country, that you really feel like you are at an ocean. Set up camp right off the shore and enjoyed the sounds of small crashing waves as I slept. We then headed to Kande Beach to a popular campsite for overland trucks. About 4 other trucks when we got there so the campsite was buzzing with activity. It was Brooke's 30th birthday so the group had a big night with an amazing barbeque dinner and a big night at the campsite bar. The people of Malawi were very friendly and on the whole the country is really cheap. The weather was decent, but since it is the rainy season there were some big storms that passed so the extent of our activities was limited. I picked up a few hand-made Malawi chairs with some intricate designs...not sure how I'll get them home, but hopefully postage won't kill me.

No comments: