Monday, June 22, 2009

Days 238-242 -- Mumbai

Arrived into Mumbai and settled into my room at my aunt's place...this time I had air-con in my room and can't begin to tell you how excited I was. Ready to come home to say the least. Anyways, spent about 6 days in Mumbai altogether....caught up with family, met some of my mom's friends, saw the sites, checked out the nightlife. By now its basically become the same routine over and over in all the places I've been and in some ways I'm glad this was the last time. As most of you know, in November Mumbai faced some terrorist attacks which they refer to as 26/11. Since then there is heightened security everyhwere from the airports, to hotels, and even at the train stations. I think its good, but at times you feel like its lost its charm. Enough of that and more about the city...

17 million+ people, the city is expansive, much bigger than NYC and sooo much dirtier (not as bad as Delhi). Took about 1.5 hour to get from airport to my aunt's place to give you an idea of size. Went out the second night to Leopold's...a bar in the Colaba Causeway area (backpacker zone) for a few beers. Leopold's is actually where the November attacks began...a famous expat/foreigner hangout, the terrorists had dinner there and then after paying their bills began shooting. There are still bullet holes in the wall/glass and its crazy to think of while you are sitting there having a beer. At one table there was a hole just next to my head...I can't even begin to imagine what it would have been like to be there when it all went down. So, here I met a Pakistani guy, Waqas, from New Jersey who was also traveling solo. We ended up hanging out the next few days checking out the sights and nightlife of Mumbai...never did find my Bollywood actress but met many stunning Indian locals ;) Saw the Gateway of India (where the terrorists entered via sea...but strangely still no security here?!?) and nearby Taj Hotel which is probably the nicest hotel I've ever seen. Had a beer in the bar there looking out over the sea and they provide you with unlimited snacks (at $8USD they better!), but enough to fill you up and skip dinner :) Visited the Haji Ali durgah which was nowhere near as crazy as the dargah in Ajmer but certainly impressive. Also checked out Dharavi (slums from Slum Dog Millionaire)...that place was crazy. To see how the people live there...words cannot express! Didn't go to far into the slums since everyone warned of the diseases I could catch just by walking around...found that surprising since I wouldnt be drinking the water, etc, but I listened and stuck to the outskirts which was still more than enough for my eyes. At the end of it all, Mumbai was a great place to end the trip...a little expensive and at times more expensive than the States. The British influence is very evident throughout the city, with Victorian architecture everywhere since they were responsible for much of the growth of this now Western metropolis. There is a stark contrast between the old historic buildings and their architecture to the new buildings of Mumbai and I think everyone will agree they like the charm of the old better. The nightlife was great, everybody spoke English, lounges very posh so I got use the nice clothes for once. Got a leather jacket tailor made in 24 hours after picking out the leather I wanted which was really cool. I missed out on the rainy season, but did get an occasional shower. I was anxious to see the hype of this so called all day rains, but unfortunately its arrived a few weeks to late this year and I'm on my way home. Caught my flight back to Delhi and wrapping up a few last minute things before taking off for the airport for my midnight flight tonight.

So after 8 months of travel through 21 countries I'm signing off...for those that followed along, I hope you enjoyed...I'll share more stories on my return! I'll probably have a few more posts...but this is it from on the road!

No comments: