Monday, February 2, 2009

Day 103 -- Bangkok to Chaing Mai

So internet is much more easily accessible here and I hope I can keep you guys updated more regularly...Last time I wrote, I mentioned I was jumping on a night train to Chaing Mai...night train from hell more like it.


So as somebody pointed out...Mike and I look like we are on a 'Harold and Kumar: Exploring SE Asia' trip since I'm Indian and he's Korean. Anyways...we decide to try local transport to save some money since overall we spent a lot in Bangkok. Long story short...we spent 13 baht each to get to the train station...it took us over an hour and we had to walk with our 18 kilo bags for at least a couple of miles. No big deal..I'm sure there is a lot more of this ahead. Back to the train ride....

We left the guesthouse at 5:30 and got to the train station at 6:45. Tired, sweaty and nasty...we decided to spend 10 baht on a shower before boarding the train...good idea!! Train scheduled to leave at 7:35, but didn't leave until 8:40....scheduled to arrive at 9:45AM, but arrived at 5:25PM. Welcome to SE Asia travel! Apparently the 'locomotive knocked out' according to the conductor which we interpreted as engine died. They brought in a new train and after 3 hours of sitting on the side of the tracks we were back on the road. If that wasn't enough, we had the two beds right by the door between two cars full of high school students on a field trip. These kids were up all night moving back and forth between the cars singing 'Disturbia' and every Alanis Morisette tracks known...no sleep at all! Arrived in Chaing Mai and checked into our hostel...leaving on a trekking trip into the jungle in the morning for 3 days so I'll check in when I get back. Until next time..

No comments: