Saturday, February 28, 2009

Laos Thoughts...

So I'm not sure how much of this I already wrote but I committed to a country by country recap so here it is...Laos exceeded all expectations, no questions asked. The people there are extremely friendly, don't try to rip you off like in most tourist places and are genuinely happy. They lead such a laid back life style that I would bet stress is not even a word in their vocabulary. I can't tell you how many times I walked into a store to buy a drink or guesthouse to book a room and we had to scream "Sabadi" (HELLO!) and someone would wake up from the corner to take our money or show us the room...crazy! Aside from that, the country had sooo much to offer like the Mekong River, jungle trekking, tubing in Vang Vieng, and the beauty of the 4,000 islands in the South. Across the country the landscape was impressive and in the capital of Ventiene (didn't see much b/c we were sick) you didn't feel like you were in a big cosmopolitan Western city like in so many other countries. Given Laos is the poorest country in SE Asia, you would never assume so since the people are so rich with life. Anyways, I heard about some beautiful temples, hill tribes in the North, and a Plain of Jars (?!?!?) but can't see everything this time so I'll have to come back another time.

Surprisingly, the country was more expensive than Thailand, but not by much. In 18 days, I averaged $39/day. Part of the reason it was all so high was because of the Gibbon Experience which really messed up the budget at 160 euros, but worth every penny once we got out of the nature reserve...Add Laos to your list of must-visit destinations and think about doing some of the things off the beaten track...you won't regret it! Oh and how could I forget...the Laos people love the phrase "Same Same...but different!" Won't miss hearing that!!! They even have these really catchy t-shirts...might have to pick one up.

No comments: