Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cambodia Thoughts...

So before I get too caught up in Vietnam, I wanted to do what I promised about Cambodia. I know I already wrote a lot of this so excuse me if its redundant. Cambodia, what an amazing country! I had no idea what to expect when I got here and the extent of my research was reading the Lonely Planet on the bus ride over the border and listening to what other traveler's stories...I wish I had done more. Cambodia's history is hard to describe. Almost all of the people alive today have been personally affected by the genocide committed in the late 70's by the Khmer Regime...I think 1 in 4 Cambodians were killed during this time. At the same time, with all of this tragedy, the country is home to Angkor Wat which once you step inside you easily understand why its one of the wonders of the world. Then you get to the beaches...what more is there to say. Other than all the hasslers, the beaches are a perfect place to get away from all the high and low emotions you experience wandering around the rest of the country. At the coast, time seems to stand still (literally!) so with all that said, Cambodia is literally a roller coaster ride. Within the span of a week, even a day, you can feel anything from happiness and excitement to down and gloomy...but I guess it all comes with the territory.

Anyways, the Cambodian people are extremely friendly and welcoming given what some of them have seen during their lives. Our driver, Soran lost his father and a few other relatives to Khmer, but was extremely upbeat and shared lots of information about what went on and how it affected the everyday lives of Cambodians. He offered to take us to his village in the countryside for dinner to meet his wife and family, but unfortunately we were booked on a night bus that night so we couldn't go. I know where to find him next time. I will say that this ranks up there as one of the top countries so far...how could it not, they gave me an opportunity to blow holes in the grounds with rockets and grenades! As far as costs...I mentioned before that they primarily use US dollars so it is a little more expensive than the rest of SE Asia. In 8 days, I averaged $42/day which included accomodation, food, bus tickets, visas, entrance fees and driver around Angkor Wat (steep!) and who knows what else...no that doesn't include the rockets and guns. I'll keep those costs to myself, but it was a once in a lifetime opportunity that I couldn't pass up!! In summary, if you find yourself on this side of the world...visit Cambodia...you won't regret it!

No comments: