Monday, March 23, 2009

Day 152 -- Hanoi to Kuala Lumpur

Had to get up super early this morning...flight was at 9AM and the airport almost an hour outside of town. Found a shuttle bus company to take me there for $2 about 3km from the hostel so got up at 5:30AM and made my way over there....Crashed during the bus ride and the driver woke me up when we were at the terminal...Got checked in for the flight, bag was less than the 15kg allowance...not sure how, but I wasn't complaining! Flight was delayed an hour and once onboard I forgot it was a budget airline so had to pay for everything. Breakfast was noodle soup and a bottle of water followed by a Kit-Kat. We arrived into Kuala Lumpur at about 1:30pm and cleared immigration/customs....now it was time to figure out what to do. Its always interesting getting to a new country and trying to navigate your way around...sometimes you wonder what you're doing there or what you're supposed to be doing there.

Anyways, took a bus to the main terminal then caught an express train into the city center. From there jumped on the monorail to Chinatown since the Lonely Planet says thats where the cheap rooms are. Found a dorm bed for 11RMB (3.6 RMB = 1USD). Kuala Lumpur is steaming hot...really close to the equator but the city is very cosmopolitan...but I think it might be a big city that I'm going to like. In my first hour I saw how much Western influence there is here...McDonald's, Subway, KFC, Nando's and who knows what else there is. In the rest of mainland SE Asia we saw none of those places or when we did they weren't everywhere as they seem to be here. Seems like there is going to be some good exploring over the next few days. There are lots of Indians and Asians here too which I didn't know before I arrived. Hopefully I'll get a chance to talk to them to see what life like a local is like. Met some people in my dorm room and probably will hang out with them tonight...this guy from New Zealand has a similar plan to mine for the next two weeks so I'm sure I'll run into him a lot in the near future. Mike gets in tomorrow and then our wanderings begin making our way north for the Full Moon Party April 9th.

Loaded a bunch of new pics and for those new to the site you can see them at (http://picasaweb.google.com/sim.lakhiani)

No comments: