Saturday, March 14, 2009

Day 143 -- Nha Trang Wanderings

So much for good weather...woke up late today and it felt really good to sleep innn!!! Wandered outside since the plan was to lounge on the beach all day but unfortunately it was cloudy and windy....glad I didn't sign up to do my free dives today. I actually had...but had a feeling I'd go out so had the dive shop call me in the morning and when they did I deferred to Sunday...ha...glad I did though. Anyways, went back in and watched some TV and did some journal writing. After a while it was still cloudy so I jumped on a cyclo (tuk-tuk pushed by a bicycle) and headed to the Long San Pagoda. The Pagoda was a neat temple with tile and ceramic dragons everywhere...a handful of monks still live there and I passed by them during my wanderings. Atop the hill, they have 2 large Buddha statues...one is a lying Buddha similar to the one we saw in Bangkok, the other a large Buddha looking out over the city similar to the one in Hong Kong. Spent an hour walking around, looking out over the city reflecting on the past few months....good times! The carvings and the level of detail of these Buddha statues...made out of some stone) were amazing. Not sure how they found rocks this size and more importantly carved these things. Back on the cyclo to towards the guesthouse I ran into the Belgian guys...they are off to Hoi An and I'm headed there on the night bus Sunday so I'll probably see them there. Time for dinner...not sure what else is on the agenda this evening!

No comments: