Sunday, November 9, 2008

Day 17 -- Amman to Jerusalem

What a day...woke up at 6:00 Am to get to the border since I heard the earlier you get there the easier it is to cross...not so lucky. Made it out of Jordan pretty easily and hopped onto a bus to the Israeli side...not so fun. After going through airport style security I was asked to sit down as they had some concerns since I was an American travelling alone. I talked with a security office for about 30 minutes about my trip, reason for my 1 night visit to Jerusalem, along with a million other questions I thought had no relevance. I guess I passed the test b/c he sent me to passport control. There I was grilled again with the same questions and a few more and was told to sit down since they didn't seem to understand my world trip...To keep it simple. I spent 4 hours at the Israeli border office, spoke to 4 people who asked me the same questions and finally made it across the border...lots of trouble for one night, but surely worth it! And I avoided the infamous entrance stamp in my passport which should make my travels a little easier.

Once I arrived in Jerusalem it was well worth the hassle. I now understand how 3 of the oldest religions all co-exist in one city, yet they can't get along in the outside world. Checked into the hostel and met a handful of cool people...Chris an Aussie guy, Lena a girl from Denmark, Lawrs a German kid and Scooter and Laura from DC, George Mason grads...UNCW rivals...arghh...anyways...we all hung out having some beer on the rooftop terrace of the hostel overlooking the old city of Jerusalem and then went out for a night on the town....Ran into some marines from the states doing embassy duty and had a good night...i think i'm caught up now, but given that its 3:15am here...i'll get the pics uploaded later....goodngiht!

No comments: