Sunday, November 16, 2008

Day 24 - Dahab

What a journey...I got on the bus at 4:30 pm and arrived at Dahab at 10:30 AM. After that 18 hour rough trip, my room wasn't ready so I had some breakfast on the beach and read about the various snorkeling and day excursions I can take part in...Dahab seems like a really laid back city, but I get the feeling there isn't much to do during the day other than snorkel and diving. I decided to give diving a shot and signed up for a discover dive, intro to scuba with no experience required. After about 40 minutes in the water going down to about 10m, I can say I'm hooked. The coral here is amazing and I got to see lionfish, swordfish, clownfish, eels among others. Really rich colors and at least 30-40 other divers in the water at the same time...crazy! Came back to the hotel and talked to them about getting a certification...not enough time to do it here so maybe in South Africa/Thailand. Walked around Dahab's boardwalk for a while and its not as crowded as one would think. At the hotel I met a group of 5 people traveling together from London here getting PADI certified, so we drank some Stellas watching waves crash along the shore. From the distance you can see Saudi Arabia, but you can bet nobody on that side was looking at us drinking a beer. Tomorrow I'm going to try snorkeling and take a hike up Mt. Sinai.

No comments: